Sunday, April 3, 2011

General thinking for both books: how both books relate to me so far

I didn’t blog Friday because I was in a car crash and I was injured and I wasn’t really up to writing blogs and thinking hard if you know what I mean. I was mainly thinking about rest and not blogs. I’ll make it up soon, I promise.

General Things
I finished reading Ender’s Game, but I’m not quite done with Little Brother. So far I like Ender’s Game more for some reason. I think it’s because it’s about a boy who has so much expected out of him that he feels he has to do it even though he rebels against it sometimes, but there’s one person or thing keeping him going. It reminds me of me. I am only 14 and so much is expected out of me and I try to live up to those expectations. I try to have perfect grades and I try to be the best singer and athlete I can be. I’ve broken bones and risked many things for trying to be the best I can be and I understand how Ender feels.  He just wants to do his best and be the best he can, but gets tired of trying to do what other people want him to do and he finds it hard to something that he likes to do because the things that he tries to do are what he’s good at. He’s good at the mock battles in the Battle School and he’s a good commander and he accepts the fact that he’s the one who has to save the human race but he wants to know why people want him to be that person. I’m good at sports and I’m a good singer, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I want to do those things. Ender would rather stay on his lake and do nothing at all. I’d rather be riding and working with horses. But we both know we can’t do those things. He knows he can’t because people will force him to do what they want him to do even though they don’t want to force him to do anything. I know I can’t ride horses because my family doesn’t have the money. We both have things that make us go on. Valentine makes Ender go on. She is there to urge him on because she knows that Ender has to save the world before they’ll let him go and she loves him. Ender also loves Valentine with all his heart. The thing that drives me on is my goal/dream to actually be on my own and own a horse. That’s my life’s goal. It’s all I want really. That and my cat. I love my Misty cat, but she doesn’t exactly drive me to do anything. She does make me finish my homework though, so that I can pat her, but she just helps me get through the day, not my life’s work.
The reason why I don’t really like Little Brother is because I don’t know how to relate to him. The story is interesting, but I can’t find myself in any of the spots he was in. I don’t think I’ll ever be kidnapped, or tortured. At least I hope I don’t find myself in those positions. But I can relate a little bit to his fear. His fear of not knowing what to do or what is going to happen to him, I mean. When he was kidnapped by the government, he didn’t know who they actually were and he didn’t know where he was going. The worst thing though, was that he couldn’t do anything to save himself. I could feel some of those feelings when I got in the car crash. I didn’t know what the guy in the car that was driving straight towards us was doing and I didn’t know that we were going to crash. I thought he would have moved at the last second, but no. He just crashed into us head on. I also didn’t know what going to happen to me. I didn’t know after we crashed if I was seriously injured. I knew my chest hurt from the seatbelt and my face from the air bag and I couldn’t hear anything from the loud noise. I also didn’t know how to really help myself. I was alone when we got to the hospital and the only comfort I got was from the firefighter who stayed with me and talked with me. I was scared out of my mind the whole time. Marcus was scared the whole time too. So I guess we do relate to each other a little bit. Hmm, well I kind of like the book a little bit more now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about your car crash, and I think that it's amazing that you're able to even slightly relate things that happen in life NOW to things that happen in books. I find it hard to believe that we can't all imagine ourselves in a character's place, if only because we get to know the character so well. But you're right, I cannot imagine myself being tortured. When I think of torture, the first thing that honestly comes to mind is the Cruciatus Curse from Harry Potter. Which is sad, I know, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete