I kind of figured. I just don’t get why they can’t add all of the details from a book. It’ll cost more money, but if it has all the details and it’s a popular book, the movie will make a lot of money and profit. I know I would go see that movie. And I couldn’t really compare the trial scenes since I wasn’t there to actually see them.
The movie part that we saw today was mainly on the last main part of it, which was the fight scene with Scout, Jem, Mr. Ewell, and Boo Radley. The ham suit that Scout was wearing was a bit different than the description in the book and how it saved Scout’s life and was used as evidence. The ham costume in the book was made of wire, paint, and a sheet. The costume also had a sheen on it that was supposed to be like glaze. In the movie, it looked like it was made from plaster, and there was no sheen to it. The sheen on the ham plays a part on the book because it showed Mr. Ewell where they were. The ham also saved Scout’s life when she got pushes over. Scout also wasn’t supposed to see much of the fight at all. She was supposed to see the end of it. In the movie, she saw the whole part when Boo Radley fought off Mr. Ewell.
The one thing I don’t really understand is how Boo managed to fight off Mr. Ewell. Mr. Ewell has been working and Boo has been locked up in a house for his whole practically life. In real life, wouldn’t Mr. Ewell win? I thought it was a good idea for Boo of all people to come to Jem and Scout’s aid when they needed it. It was a good way to end the book and the movie.
Boo Radley in the movie was exactly how I pictured him from the book. He was paler than the other characters, he tended to stay in the darkness, and he didn’t speak. In the book he did speak, and I think they should have made him speak that one line because it showed how vulnerable and weak he was. Boo was like a child. Scout acted like the adult he was supposed to be because she assured him what was ok and where to go and she held onto his hand and was kind to him. She was very polite and you could see that there was a special connection between them.
The movie skipped the pageant part of the book where Scout acted as the ham. On the way home, they didn’t take the sidewalk, they took some path through a wooded area and that was pretty creeper and I liked that because it added to the creepiness of something or someone following them.
To be honest, the movie wasn’t the greatest, but it was ok. The movie as a whole was pretty good. It left out some important things from the book, but it got rid of the things that weren’t needed as much so they could focus on the more important parts in the book. The bloack and white showed the age of both the film and the movie, which I thought was pretty cool. All in all, it was a pretty good movie. I wouldn't mind watching it again.
Sadly, I won't be showing it again- but I can (and do) watch it every year and enjoy it every year.
ReplyDeleteI guess I'm ok with it not being as detailed as the book- that's the nature of film- I'm just pleased that the characters I like so much in the novel are faithfully created on the screen-